Sunday, January 15, 2012

Clockwork Prince Review

 

by
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends. 

My Review (spoilers!!)
Team Will, or Team Jem??
In every book I've read with this type of situation, I have always clearly leaned (if not directly stood) to only one side of a love triangle.  This book has shattered this for me.  Will and Jem are both utterly loveable characters, that I honestly can't force myself to choose between, splitting myself directly down the middle.  On one hand, there's Will, whom she loved first and who clearly loves her more than anything.  On the other hand is Jem - He also desperately loves her.  If she had not fallen for him in return, my answer would be easy, but she has.  I can't bear the thought of her choice, because one of these amazing young men will be terribly hurt, not to mention Tessa herself.  I can imagine her being crushed as well just for hurting one of them.  I was broken hearted when, after accepting a proposal from Jem, Will was finally able to profess his love for her.  I can tell this news is warring with her heart.  She does clearly love Will more, but has already promised herself to Jem and she believes her love can help him survive his sickness.. how can she break his heart now?  
I feel assured that many girls and women alike can identify with her so deeply that this is a very emotional book for them.  I know that's how it is for me.  For now I remain neutral.  I have total faith in Cassandra Clare to eventually end this in such a way that all can truly be happy.  Sure, that may be very naive, and while I can't imagine this happy ending myself, I believe it will happen.  My inability to be unable to predict the outcome of any of the key elements in this story is completely maddening at times, but it's also very refreshing.  Isn't the very definition of a good story (and of writing, itself) be first that element of unpredictability and surprise?  I believe it is!
I give this book a solid 5 stars!   

No comments:

Post a Comment